Thursday, December 16, 2010

getting my Julie Andrews on

i'm inspired today to list some of my favorite things about life.  now, this is by no means all of them, and they are not in order. and away we go:

1.  Unicorns.  there's something soothing about a majestic, gentle creature that has a large deadly spike sprouting from it's cranium.  like it could hand you a bag of jellybeans and if you didn't say "thank you" then it would impale your ungrateful ass.  it's beauty and justice all in one glittering package. 

2. Things that are orange, except for oranges.  I'm talking Oompa Loompas, Goldfish crackers, traffic cones, Dreamsicles, it's all good.  True story; once after a concert i heisted an orange traffic cone from the parking lot. my plan was to put it in my room, maybe put some flowers in the top like it was some kind of Department Of Transportation vase. You know, dress up my room; make it real classy.  However, my parents- who were clearly disappointed that I'd failed to learn that "stealing is wrong" lectured me into a guilty stupor, and the next day after church i drove the hour and a half to the parking lot and put it back. when i got there all of it's little friends were gone, though, so i just kind of did a drive-by-cone-plop and hightailed it out of there. Moral of the Story: love your traffic cones, but love them from a distance.

3.  Squeezing pimples. ok. sure, maybe it's disgusting but there is something wholly satisfying about watching a stream of icky white/yellow/orange/black goo come out and knowing that that pore is now free to breathe. i'm sorry, i probably made some of you throw up a little bit in your mouths just then. i'll wait for you to rinse your mouth and get control over your heaves..... doo do do dodo doooo.... ok.

4. Spinach.  i used to put heaping mounds of boiled spinach on my fork and then pretend that i was a brontosaurus eating sea plants while i munched it, letting the leaves hand out of my mouth. i was happy, but i'm sure my parents were giving themselves Facepalms and turning shades of red from embarassment. i had no qualms with Dinosaur Eating in public places; i did it often.

5. People Watching.  My favorite place for this activity is probably Wal-Mart. you get all kinds of crazy people at Wal-Mart.  Dreadlocked white boys that look like they're having a bad acid trip, spandex clad would be Biggest Loser contestants,  oodles of crying children, obviously drunken underage high school kids trying desperately to "rein it in", ritsy rich ladies looking frantic and hurrying to get their Nyquil or what-have-you and get out of there, and of course at least 10 people that look like they could probably die at any moment scooting along in those powered wheelchair/vespa hybrids that they hand out at the front door.  It's a veritable Mecca for oddness. and definite proof that America is in fact a melting pot of people and culture.  so in a way, Wal-Mart is the most patriotic store i know. it goes America all over everyone's asses. with low prices.  and a smorgasbord of smells from rotting milk to fresh bread to ripe, ripe college students that really really need to bathe themselves.

6. Really fat cats.  i'm not talking italian mobster "cats", but actual fat cats. like, prop themselves against the wall in sitting position so they can breathe cats.  what can i say, a Garfieldesque kitteh is ok by me. they're all lazy and cuddly and too mellowed out to worry about climbing onto the top of the fridge to knock your glass vases onto the floor to get revenge on you for not feeding them "on time". they just tucker out on the floor or your lap and lapse into a comatose state. it's all of the Cuddle and Fluff and none of the Cat Scratch Fever or Make My Day Biting.  perhaps i should change my kitties diets from their healthy cat food to a steady diet of brownies and lasagna. hmm. maybe i should change my diet to brownies and lasanga. then all i'd need is to find someone that can turn me into a cat. maybe a plastic surgeon. the one that did this:

7. Ninja Cupcakes. well, cupcakes in general. all cupcakes. my favorite are extra-moist-orange-vanilla-cupcakes-with-a-surprise-maraschino-cherry-center-and-lemon-frosting. however, Ninja cupcakes are both deadly, and delicious.




Krista's Thoughts Before Bedtime:

1. The baby books say i should try and get Ronin to fall asleep on his own in his crib but that just sounds exhausting.  Maybe i'm too lazy.  it's so much easier to just let him fall asleep in my arms and then move him to his crib. this "parent" stuff is rough. awesome, but rough.

2. i'm in the 130s!! today i weigh 138.8 and i'm excited. my hope is to be at 135 by Christmas next weekend. y'all wish me luck!

3. a fish is not a duck. no matter what they say on the Travel Channel.

4. to quote a wonderful wonderful ladyfriend and reader of mine, "Qristyl" does not equal "Crystal" and if you think that it does, you are an idiot and should rethink becoming a parent.


5. the sound of my feet rubbing across my bedsheets is akin to the sound that velcro makes when it's pulled apart.  i should probably get on that and fix it. fix it until it's fixed.
 
6. Taylor Swift is great and everything, but she is death to my creative processes. i can hardly think with her chipper twang in my ears. gotta switch back to Deathcab.
 
7. i think that i might be able to master the tuba. it doesn't seem that difficult. i think i might need to be a bit more "surly" though. or "portly".
 
8. i think that maybe i'll try and be a vegetarian for a week, see what my body thinks about it.
 
9. i can make a better subway-style sandwich at home than at the actual Subway. and for pennies on the dollar, or however that expression goes. now if i could just keep my cat Mischief from stealing the sliced turkey from out of it when i'm not looking. that cat is appropriately named.
 
10. it's hard to have thoughts sometimes. just in general. more-so, ones that actually have clout or meaning. geez that's a funny word. clout.
 
I LOVE YOU GUYS!! leave comments, i love to hear them.

3 comments:

  1. That was hilarious tonight! Thanks for the many laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you can make a sandwich yourself, but nothing like someone else doing the work. Its definately worth it to me. Is it wrong of me to not want to make food anymore?!? I wish you much luck in reaching your weight goal but when you get here I make no promises of helping you stick to it, vegetarian isn't my strong suit so I'll do what I can. Its a good read lady keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw you mention on Facebook, freaking hilarious. Have bookmarked and will add you to my blogroll later today when I have time.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy; I want to hear what you have to say.